World

Prime Minister Modi to address Indians as coronavirus cases rise to 166

India, the world’s second-most populous country, was ramping up efforts on Thursday to combat the coronavirus as the total number of positive cases rose to 166.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi was due to address the nation about the threat after chairing a high-level meeting earlier to review efforts to control COVID-19.

READ ALSO: First coronavirus-related death reported in Malaysia

The Indian Government had so far maintained there that was no evidence yet of a community outbreak of the virus, which could make it harder to contain.

It, however, said that all the cases had been linked to foreign travel.

There has been concern that the infections in India, a country of 1.3 billion people, may be higher as the government has so far carried out limited tests.

Its Federal Ministry of Health said that 15 fresh cases were reported from various parts of the country; taking the total number of infections to 166.

It said that three people had died from COVID-19 since cases started being reported.

“In New Delhi, a man suspected to be infected with the virus allegedly killed self by jumping off the seventh floor of a hospital after he was admitted there by airport authorities.’’

Meanwhile, the ministry had since issued several advisories asking people to avoid crowded places and stay at home as much as possible to check the spread of the disease.

However, various regional governments had since shut down educational institutions, malls and cinemas, cancelled functions and sports events.

India had also suspended almost all travel visas.
Indian markets continued their slide with the benchmark 30-share Sensex tanking as much as 2,155 points in early trade on Thursday.

It trimmed its losses and was 931.91 points or 3.23 per cent down.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply