NUJ tackles Nasarawa State Govt. over Breeze FM demolition

Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) has demanded an unconditional apology and compensation from the Nasarawa State Governor, Umaru Al Makura for the demolition of a radio station, Breeze FM, 99.9, Lafia.
Mr Shuaibu Leman, NUJ National Secretary who made this known in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja called for the immediate relocation of the station by the Nasarawa State Government.
Leman said the Union was also advocating for the payment of compensation for the great loss suffered by the radio station towards this untoward act.
The NUJ scribe said that there was no plausible explanation to the act of intimidation by Al Makura which occurred last week allegedly because the structure was not approved by the Nasarawa State Urban Development Board.
He said that it is instructive to note that the same Governor was represented at the time the radio station was being inaugurated.
He said that the NUJ is worried as the incidence was happening at a time when the Nigerian State needs the support of the media in fighting corruption, criminality and terrorism in the country.
Leman said that it is sad that media was now being attacked by the same Government that is entrusted with the safety and security of all Nigerians.
“We wish to note that in a democracy, Government should be seen to be protecting the interest of all and sundry and not only the interest of those in authority.
“The union cautions that the media remains the pivot of a virile democracy and should be jealously guarded, protected but sanitized appropriately.
“The Media should be allowed to always test the resilience of the free speech and free press clauses by challenging any attempt to restrict their coverage of political activities and the society by arguing passionately that the public has a right to know,’’ Leman said.
“It is in the light of the above that we condemn this unwarranted destruction of the premises of Breeze FM Lafia on the orders of Governor Al Makura,” he said.
Meanwhile, the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has described the demolition of the structures housing the Breeze 99.9 FM, Lafia as “shocking and unbelievable”.
Mrs. Franca Ayetan, NBC Zonal Director for North-Central, who led a team on a verification visit to the destroyed station, recently said that the development was surprising because the station followed due process in obtaining its broadcast license.
“The owner of the private radio station, Dr. Nawani Aboki, followed due process in obtaining the broadcast license after all necessary inspections were carried out.
“On March 31, when we came to commission the station, the state government was fully represented.
“If government had raised any reservation then, as a regulatory body, we would have waited a little more before inaugurating the station. But none was raised,” she said.
Ayetan said the NBC would seek for justice in the matter, but promised to follow due process in doing that.
The Director said that the commission, apart from being a regulatory body, had the mandate to protect broadcasters from any form of injustice or attacks.
She commiserated with the owner of the station over the demolition, pointing out that the prime reason for deregulating the broadcasting industry was to give the people alternative voices to bare their minds.
The official said that the NBC had been monitoring Breeze 99.9 FM broadcast and had never found a breach of the guidelines of the Nigeria broadcasting code.
She said that the commission had never received any complaint from any quarters regarding offensive or inciting broadcast from the station, since it went on air on March 31.
“We are sad that this is somebody’s investment being destroyed. We are also sad that a radio frequency serving as a platform for the airing of views has been destroyed.
It will be recalled that the structures were demolished on Saturday, May 20, 2017, by the Nasarawa State Urban Development Board (NUDB), over alleged violation of approved land laws.