News

More COVID-19 deaths recorded in Gombe

Gombe – Gombe State Taskforce on COVID-19 says it has recorded seven deaths related to COVID-19 in the state.

Prof. Idris Mohammed, chairman of the taskforce stated this in Gombe on Wednesday while briefing newsmen.

The three deaths were initially reported, and the state recorded additional four recently, bringing the total to seven.

He said out of the seven deaths recorded, three were from community transmission because they did not have any record of travelling.

He said so far, there were only 23 active cases in the state that were on admission at Specialist, Federal Teaching Hospital and Kwadon Isolation centres Gombe.

Breaking: Obaseki submits nomination form for Edo governorship

He further expressed concern over the way people were conducting their businesses in the state without the fear of the pandemic.

Idris said the negative attitude of members of the public was worrisome because they were frustrating the efforts of the taskforce that was going round the communities for contact tracing.

“Members of the community were frustrating the efforts of taskforce who were out for contact tracing.

“Community transmission can only be checked if they cooperate with health workers who were out for contact tracing,” he said.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Tuesday said it has recorded 241 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in the country, taking the total number of infections in Nigeria to 10,818.

The NCDC on its official twitter handle said that as at June 2, 2020, 15 deaths were recorded in the country.

The health agency stated that most of those who died were associated with co-morbidities, noting that three out of four of those who have been discharged were without co-morbidities.

It said this was consistent with the fact that risks were higher for those with other illnesses such as hypertension, diabetes and other chronic non-communicable diseases.

The NCDC said that there was general reduction in mortality trend and continuous improvement in recoveries as shown in discharges compared to the increase in number of confirmed cases.

It stated that no new state have reported a case in the last 24 hours.

According to the body, till date, 10,819 cases have been confirmed, 7,266 of active cases, 3,239 cases have been treated and discharged, 314 deaths have been recorded in 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

The NCDC said that the 241 new cases were reported from 14 states – Lagos(142), Oyo(15), FCT(13), Kano(12), Edo(11), Delta(10), Kaduna(9), Rivers(9), Borno(8), Jigawa(4), Gombe(3), Plateau(3), Osun(1) and Bauchi(1).

The health agency reassured that it would keep Nigerians informed on the public health response to COVID-19 through the daily situation report.

NCDC said that it was important for Nigerians to remember that there were humans behind the numbers.

The first case of COVID-19 was reported on Dec. 31, 2019, in Wuhan, China.

Five months later, the disease continues to affect people in countries across the globe.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply