News

Alleged N23b bribe: INEC official not induced to make statement -Witness

A prosecution witness, Tosin Owobo, on Wednesday told a Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos that Christian Nwosu, an official with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), who was accused of receiving N30 million as bribe was neither intimidated nor induced to make statement.

Nwosu allegedly received the money being part of a N23 billion alleged bribe from Diezani Alison-Madueke meant to compromise electoral officers before the 2015 general election.

The defendant had earlier admitted that he collected the money as he sought for a plea bargain arrangement with EFCC.

However, Justice Mohammed Idris, rejected the terms of agreement and Nwosu reversed his “guilty” plea to “not guilty.”

He was subsequently arraigned alongside another INEC staff, Tijani Bashir, on an amended six-count charge bordering on receiving gratification to the tune of N264.8 million and the duo pleaded not guilty to the charges.

But the third defendant, Yisa Adedoyin, another staff of the Commission, pleaded guilty to one of the counts, receiving N70 million from the alleged bribe.

Consequently, the judge found Mr. Adedoyin guilty and convicted him accordingly.

Nwosu later informed the court that that he was coerced, intimidated , threatened and induced by the commission to make the statement that indicted him on the charge, the allegation made court to order for trial within trial to test the voluntariness of Nwosu’s statement.

At the resumed hearing of the matter yesterday, EFCC’S counsel, Nnemeka Omewa called it first
prosecution witness, Owobo to explain to the court how the commission investigated the offence and how Nwosu ‘s statement was obtained.

Owobo in his testimony told the court that Nwosu’s statement was obtained under standard practice without inducement, intimidation or threat.

The witness told the court that Nwosu came to the commission’s office in Lagos on December 28, 2016 to make statement on the charge preferred against him, and after making statement, he was granted administrative bail
on self-recognisance.

He said during interogation, the defendant was
shown a document from a bank that he signed to collect the sum of N264 million and the defendant did not denied but explained what the money was meant for before making his
statement.

“The defendant walked to our office alone, my team and I have discussion with him on the allegations leveled against him and after our discussion, we asked him whether he will like to make statement and said yes.

“Nwosu’s statement was obtained under standard practice without inducement, intimidation or threat, after making statement, he was granted administrative bail on self-recognisance,” he said.

Under cross examination, Nwosu ‘ s counsel, Victor Opara asked Owobo whether he aware that the commission imposed counsel on client, and he said was not aware.

The witness also admitted that while Nwosu was writing his statement, no lawyer or member of human rights group was present.

Further, hearing has been adjourned till October 5.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply