Minimum wage: Court stops Labour from embarking on strike Nov 6

The National Industrial Court of Nigeria (NIC) in Abuja on Friday restrained the Organised Labour from proceeding on the nationwide strike scheduled to begin on November 6 over the National minimum wage dispute.
Justice Kado Sanusi gave the restraining order while ruling on an ex-parte application filed by the Attorney General of Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) and argued by the Solicitor General of the Federation, Mr. Dayo Apata.
In his ruling over the application, Justice Sanusi further restrained the parties in dispute over the National minimum wage:
the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Trade Union Congress (TLC), Federal Government, the AGF and Incorporated Trustees of the Nigerian Governors Forum from taking any further step on the matter pending the determination of the substantive matter.
In effect, the proposed strike scheduled to commence on Tuesday, November 6, would remain in abeyance pending the determination of the suit that was filed by the Federal Government and the AGF.
Justice Sanusi said that the restraining order was essential to preserve the res (the subject matter) and ensure that none of the party restore to self help while the matter is pending before the court.
The judge also said that in granting the ex-parte application that was argued by the Solicitor General of the Federation (SGF), Dayo Apata, he took into consideration the likely devastating effect of a strike on the nation, particularly on the economy and on the poor masses who are struggling to survive on daily bases.
Meanwhile, the court has fixed November 8 for the hearing of the substantive suit .
But the organized labour is still insisting on Friday that it would not call off the strike scheduled for Tuesday on which it has undertook an elaborate mobilization of its members – the workers.
The nationwide strike it planned to embark upon, despite the National Industrial Court ruling in Abuja is to press for the implementation of N30 , 000 as the new National Minimum Wage.
The President , Nigeria Labour Congress President, Mr Ayuba Wabba , said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Abuja.
According to Wabba, we are not aware of any court ruling and we have not been served any notice.
He said, “ We have just concluded our joint organ meetings of the Central Working Committees of the Labour Centres of the NLC , Trade Union Congress and the United Labour Congress here in Lagos.
“ The meeting is the final preparation for a full engagement with the government on the new National Minimum Wage and we have taken our decision to go on the strike.
Our decision is to go ahead with the nationwide strike unless the government does the needful.”
Also , Mr Musa Lawal , TUC General Secretary , also told NAN said the centre was not was aware of any court ruling concerning the planned strike by organised labour.
” We are not aware because we have not been served any court order ; we have taken our decision and we are going to stand by that , ” he added.
The Nigerian Governors Forum had issued a communique after its meeting claiming that state governors can only pay N22,500 , as the new national minimum wage.
The organised labour has reiterated its position that any figure below N30,000 would not be acceptable to labour.
Labour had earlier called on its members to mobilise in preparation for the commencement of an indefinite strike on November 6 , unless necessary steps are taken to adopt the recommendation of the Tripartite agreement.
Also, Alhaji Kola Olumoh, the chairman, Trade Union Congress (TUC), in Kwara has said the Friday’s judgment of the National lndustrial Court, Abuja, cannot stop the proposed NLC nationwide strike.
The TUC Chairman stated this in llorin on Friday while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on his reaction to the judgment retraining the NLC from embarking on the strike scheduled to begin on Nov. 6.
Olumoh described the judgment as a ploy to cause confusion which was already belated.
He said the National body of the organised Labour Unions would appeal the judgment while the proposed nationwide strike would continue.
Olumoh said labour was magnanimous enough to stand at N30,000 minimum wage for workers which could not be compared with the jumbo pay of the political office holders.
“We are fully prepared for the proposed strike in Kwara if the Federal Government fails to accept the N30,000 as minimum wage, ” Olumoh said.
He advised workers in the state to fully prepare for the impending strike and cooperate with the Labour Unions in the struggle.
The TUC Chairman alleged that most States Governments in the Federation spent about 40 per cent of the monthly allocations for salary and wondered why they were rejecting N30,000 minimum wage.