Headlines News

Suspected herdsmen kill 100 in 9 Plateau communities

…Police confirm 11 deaths, say families buried victims before arrival
…State Govt imposes dusk to dawn curfew in 3 LGs
No fewer than 100 persons have been killed in nine communities of Plateau State by heavily armed suspected herdsmen. The killings took place on Saturday night in Xland, Gindin Akwati, Ruku, Nghar, Kura Falls and Kakuruk all in Gashish district as well as Rakok, Kok and Razat villages all in Ropp district of Barkin-ladi Local Government Area.

Police authorities placed the number of people killed during the attacks at 11, but The Daily Times reliably gathered from security sources that Military Search and Rescue Forces that no fewer than 100 people were killed when the attackers struck.

According to the source, Xland, Gindin Akwati, Kura Falls, Nghar and Ruku villages were completely sacked by the armed herders.

“In Nghar village alone, about 70 corpses were recovered as the entire village was razed down.

“Ruku village was equally razed down,’’ according to him, but he could not give casualties there.

The source further said that “in Xland and Gindi Akwati villages where many survivors were believed to still be hiding in the bushes during the search operation, over 60 people were killed.

“Many people are still trapped in the bushes with no help for food, security, shelter or even medication.

“There is no one to help evacuate them from the troubled area because the security authorities themselves are not responsive,” the source said.

Our correspondent, who made contacts with some victims of the attack in Kakuruk village, reports that several houses including a Church and a top Pastor’s home were burnt down as well as several deaths recorded.

According to an eyewitness, over 100 people are taking refuge in the STF base in the village expecting evacuation.

STF had reported deploying “heavy reinforcements” to the troubled areas early on Sunday.

The member representing Barkin Ladi/Riyom Federal constituency in the House of Representative, Hon Istifanus Gyang, however, said the attacks were part of a plan to allow Fulani militants have a field day, terrorising the unarmed civilian population to forcefully secure a grazing field, describing the latest reign of terror in the area as senseless bloodbath.

“Barkin Ladi and Riyom LGAs have been under sustained attacks for the past eight years with nearly 50 villages sacked so far,” he said.

For its part, the Plateau State Government said it is deeply pained that “despite concerted efforts which had led to the restoration of relative peace across the state, some unpatriotic elements are bent on disrupting the gains so far made.”

A statement by the state Commissioner for Information, Yakubu Dati, on Sunday, condemned the attacks, assuring that the government had mobilised “full compliments of security forces who are restoring normalcy in the affected areas and the environs.”

Meanwhile, sources in the affected area said that more attacks were ongoing in unsecured communities even as the search and rescue operation launched by the STF was on.

Contrastingly, the Police Command in Plateau State confirmed the killing of 11 persons in attacks on Razat, Ruku, Nyarr, Kura and Gana-Ropp villages of Gashish District in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area.

Also hit were Daffo and Kuba communities in Bokkos Local Government Area.

Mr. Terna Tyopev, the command’s spokesman, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Jos that many other villages were hit by the gunmen suspected to be herdsmen.

“The gunmen invaded the villages on Saturday and killed several people. Based on the number of corpses recovered and buried, we can confirm 11 killed,” he said.

He said, however, that more people might have died because many families had buried their dead relatives before the Policemen arrived.

Tyopev said that some dead bodies had been deposited at the Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH) mortuary, adding that security had been beefed up in affected villages to restore peace.

Capt. Umar Adams, spokesman of `Operation Safe Haven’, the military task force maintaining peace in Plateau State, who also spoke on the attacks, described them as “unfortunate”.

“We are aware of the unfortunate attacks, but I cannot confirm how many people were killed,” he told newsmen.

Meanwhile, Governor Simon Lalong has charged security agencies to double their efforts toward ending the persistent attacks on rural communities in the state.

Lalong, commiserated with families of the victims, promising to settle the bills of those injured and in hospitals.

In a related development, the Plateau State Government has imposed a dusk to dawn curfew in Riyom, Barkin Ladi and Jos South local government areas.

The State Government in a statement in Jos signed by Mr. Rufus Bature, said that the curfew was to avert a breakdown of law and order.

He said that movement would be restricted from 6 p.m.to 6 a.m. except for those on essential duties.

There was tension in some parts of the state on Sunday after several attacks in some communities left many people dead at the weekend.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply