Sex scandal: Reps insist on innocence, want proof from US
. Onyema, Entwistle to appear before c’ttee today
The three House of Representatives members accused of sexual misconduct by the outgoing United States envoy to Nigeria, Mr. James Entwistle, on Wednesday, insisted they were innocent of the allegations against them, just as the lawmakers demanded the envoy produce evidence to substantiate his claims.
Testifying before the joint House committee probing the sexual misconduct allegation, they described the allegations by Entwistle as false and baseless, and threatened legal action against the ambassador and the US government if they failed to apologise to them or produce evidence to substantiate the allegation in line with global practice.
Rep. Mohammed Gololo in his testimony declared: “I am shocked and dismayed at the content of Amb. Entwistle’s letter which contains totally false and baseless accusations against me. I never grabbed any house keeper because no house keeper or maid came into my room while l was inside for the period l lodged at the hotel.
“I take this issue very seriously and I demand an apology. I insist that the evidence of the allegation against me be produced as was done in the case of the former managing director of the IMF who had a similar allegations made against him and evidence was produced. So I demand same”.
He added further that it was in the interest of both countries to ensure an in depth investigation into the alleged scandal and that he was ready to return to the US to clear his name.
On his part, Rep. Mark Gbillah, who became emotional during his testimony and broke down in tears, said that the Marriott Hotel in Cleveland where he was alleged to have solicited for a prostitute through a car park attendant had no car park in the front where the said solicitation took place.
“l want to state categorically that there is no car park in front of Marriott Hotel in Cleveland but rather the car park is located behind the hotel and l had no business going to the car park since l didn’t drive throughout my stay.
“I want to confirm unequivocally that at no time did l have an interaction with a car park attendant and l never went to the car park. I never solicited for a prostitute as was alleged”, Gbillah said.
The lawmaker added that the US envoy had failed to avail the accused House members with the identity of their accusers and the time line when the incident occurred.
Meanwhile, the third accused, Rep. Samuel Ikon while accusing the US embassy of denying them fair hearing, revealed that the health challenge he experienced during the period when the said incident happened foreclosed him from soliciting for the services of prostitute as alleged by Entwistle.
“I didn’t request any assistance from a car park attendant because of my state of my health challenge which was known to members of the US mission. The allegation against me carries no specific details on whom l solicited sex from.
“My accuser remains unknown and my view on the issue hasn’t been sought. What was the means of the confirmation of my identity which was based on a group photograph as attested to by the ambassador”, he said.
Alluding to the allegation of sexual misconduct as being premeditated for a sinister motive by the US, the lawmakers revealed that their visas had been cancelled by the American embassy in an attempt to foreclose any legal action by them in the US.
However, the three lawmakers announced that they were putting their anticipated legal action against the envoy and the US on hold pending the conclusion of the investigative hearing by the House.
Adjourning the joint committee’s hearing, Chairman of the committee, Rep. Ossai Ossai ruled that the Foreign Affairs Minister, Geofrey Onyema and Mr. Entwistle must unfailingly appear before the committee today (Thursday) by 10 am, while the other seven House members who travelled to the US alongside the accused lawmakers will also give their testimony.