Headlines News

Ondo Court sentences abductors of Falae to life jail

The Ondo State High Court in Akure has sentenced the seven abductors of the erstwhile Secretary to the Government of Federation (SGF), Chief Olu False, to life Imprisonment.

At a sitting on Monday, presided by Justice Williams Olamide, the Court ruled that the seven suspects were guilty of kidnapping Falae.

Justice Olamide had earlier discharged the seven convicts of two charges bordering on conspiracy and armed robbery out of the five charges brought before them at the court.

The Judge in his two hours ruling ordered that the seven abductors should be remanded at the Olokuta Maximum Prison without no option of fine.

Falae, the National Chairman of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), was kidnapped by Fulani herdsmen on September 21, 2015 during his 77th birthday.

It would be recalled that the elder statesman was abducted at his Ilado Farm in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State.

Falae, who spent four days in captivity, was later released after his family paid a ransom of five million naira to the notorious abductors.

Our correspondent reports that among those sent to jail by the State High Court are Abubakar Auta, Bello Jannu, Umaru Ibrahim, Masahudu Muhammed, Idris Lawal with two others.

They were brought before the Ondo State High Court on a five count charge bordering on kidnapping, conspiracy, armed robbery among others.

Part of the charge brought before the suspects read: “That you, Abubakar Auta, Bello Jannu, Umaru Ibarahim, Masahudu Muhammed, Idris Lawal and others now at large, on or about Monday, September 21, 2015 at Kajola/Eyinala Community in Akure Judicial Division did give information for the purpose of kidnapping and abducting Chief Samuel Oluyemi Falae.

“Abubakar Auta, Bello Jannu, Umaru Ibarahim, Masahudu Muhammed and Idris Lawal, and others now at large, on or about Monday, September 21, 2015 at Kajola/Eyinala Community in Akure Judicial Division did Kidnapped Chief Oluyemi Falae, the Former Secretary to the Government of the Federation and did not release him until N5,000,000 ransom was paid.

“Abubakar Auta, Bello Jannu, Umaru Ibarahim, Masahudu Muhammed and Idris Lawal, and others now at large, on or about Monday, September 21, 2015 at Kajola/Eyinala Community in Akure Judicial Division did rob Chief Olu Falae of N15, 000 and his handset while armed with guns, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons” it read.

Our correspondent reports that the suspects had pleaded not guilty to these offences on their first arraignment in the State High Court.

Adeyemi Tuki, the Prosecution Counsel, said the offence of the seven convicts contravenes section 2 of Anti-Kidnapping and Anti-Abduction Law, 5(1)(a) of the Anti-Kidnapping and Anti-Abduction Laws.

“It also contravenes section 6(b) of the Robbery and Firearms(Special Provision) Act,Cap R11, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004”.

Mrs. Tuki, who is also the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) in the State Ministry of Justice, said the call logs and ransom recovered from the some of the suspects were part of the evidences tendered before law court and which were proved to jail them.

“We (prosecution) was able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they committed the offence by the evidence placed before the court.

“Also, the victim (Chief Olu Falae) was able to identify about five of them that kidnapped him during the trial of the case and through forensic test and investigation,” she said.

Abdulrahman Yusuf, the counsel to the seven convicts, showed disappointment at the judgment against the seven convicts.

Yusuf, who is a counsel from the Legal Aid Council, said they would sit down to study the judgment, noting that it might be appealed at an appellate court.

“When we get the judgment by hand, then we would study it and know the next or action to take,” he said.
The Daily Times correspondent who was at the court reports that the convicts after the judgment broke into pool of tears as they were been matched into the awaiting prison vehicle.

Reacting to the ruling, Falae hailed the life sentence handed down to five of the kidnappers, saying the police should go after those at large.

“I think the police should not close the case, because so many of them are still at large.

“The police should go after them and ensure they are brought to justice,” the former SGF said.

He also said that the sentence was appropriate as he was opposed to capital punishment.

“No one should take anybody’s life, not even the state,” Falae said, adding “such criminals should be put away in prison for life.”

Recounting his ordeal at the hands of the kidnappers, Falae said: “The boys put me through a terrible time.

“They starved me and threatened me with their swords, they tore my clothes and made me walk long distances for four days.

“I thank God I did not die during the period, it was a harrowing experience.”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply