Court strikes out criminal charge against Ekweremadu

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Monday struck out the criminal charge filed by the defunct Special Presidential Investigation Panel on Recovery of Public Property against the former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu for lack of diligent prosecution.

The defunct panel had brought the charges against Ekweremadu for alleged false assets declaration on May 11, 2018.
However, the federal government disbanded the Special Presidential Investigation Panel on the Recovery of Public Property late last year and handed all cases being handled by the former panel to the office of attorney -general of the federation.
Even though, a counsel from the office of the attorney -general of the federation, Pius Akuta announced appearance for the prosecution, Justice Binta Nyako ruled that the prosecution is at liberty to resurrect the case when they are ready.
Justice Nyako said that if the attorney-general of federation has difficulties taking over the prosecution of the criminal case against the former deputy Senate President, he knows what to do.
She said that the court would not make an order against the defunct panel or on an individual over the case file which the prosecution counsel said they have difficulty retrieving.
Akuta had earlier in his submission opposed the motion by the defendant counsel, Adegbeya Awomolo (SAN) that the charge be struck out.
He also opposed an indefinite adjournment, but preferred a short adjournment, although he was not in possession of the case file.
Earlier when the matter was called, Chief Awomolo (SAN) insisted that his objection to the competence of the charge and jurisdiction of the court should be determined first.
But, Justice Nyako declined the defence counsel’s request, declaring that until she is sure of the criminal matter and Ekweremadu is in the dock and counsels announce appearances that the court would not take any step on the matter.
Daily Times recalls that the Presidential Special Committee on Recovery of Public Property had in May 2018 charged Sen. Ekweremadu for false declaration of assets.
Meanwhile, the two other consolidated suits dealing with the forfeiture of Sen. Ekweremadu’s 22 properties have being adjourned to April 28.
Justice Nyako refused the defence counsel’s application seeking to strike out the suits, stating that the consolidated suits were for mention.