Headlines News

Buhari’s govt eroding Judiciary independence, say Fayose, Babalola

The Governor of Ekiti State, Mr Ayo Fayose and a Legal Luminary, Chief Afe Babalola(SAN), have joined a cross Nigerians to condemn the last weekend  midnight arrest of some ranking Judges by men of the Department of State Security(DSS).
 The duo who described this as a flagrant erosion of the independence of the judicial arm, noted that the situation was dangerous to the country’s democracy.
 Fayose specifically noted that if judges, who are occupying sacred positions could be harassed and treated that way then nobody is safe under the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government .
 The  governor however declared that he would continue to hold judiciary in high esteem and do everything possible to ensure smooth and seamless administration of justice in the country.
 They spoke in Ado Ekiti on Wednesday during the foundation laying ceremony of the N1.29 billion Ekiti State new High Court Complex named after the Oluyin of Iyin Ekiti and the pioneer Chief Judge of the State, Justice Ademola Ajakaye.
 They were reacting to the arrest of five judges, including two supreme court justices by DSS and their subsequent arraignment  before a magistrate court in Abuja by DSS for alleged corruption related cases.
 Fayose, who said he found it expedient to build another high court complex to replace the current one that was bequeathed  onto the state in 1968.
 “I am particularly glad with what is happening today because the judicial officers had not done enough to put the executive on check. I had earlier raised the alarm that something like this will happen, so the current predicament of these judges will teach them a lesson that nobody is safe from harassment  in Nigeria.
 “However, no matter the offence they might have committed, the arrest is regrettable and sad. This should not have happened to judges who built  their careers from the scratch. But let me tell you, this government will still do more.
 “We must all protect the judicial arm and that is why I am building this new complex that will have modern accessories to ease administration of justice and smoothen legal matters  in the state”,
Fayose said.
 Babalola said raiding the houses of eminent jurists when they could have allowed the National Judicial Council (NJC) to take disciplinary actions against the judges, if truly they are corrupt, was a constitutional infraction that must not be tolerated.
 “I am particularly saddened by the attack. How can they be treated like criminals? The fact that the DSS released the judges on the second day showed that they did not evade arrest, why should they then be harassed and humiliated them in the first instance? “It is a trite law that process of the court can’t  be served after 7pm. Even if the DSS had the arrest warrant, they should not have gone on midnight raid of the houses of the judges.
 “The NJC has the power to promote, appoint and discipline judges, this was done to ensure independence of that arm. So, I expect them to have approached the NJC. How can you arrest sitting Supreme Court judges and took them to magistrate court for trial? That could only be done after they have been removed”, he said.
The Chief Judge of the State, Justice Ayodeji Daramola and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr.  Owoseeni Ajayi, said the new  court complex  would help in speedy administration of justice in Ekiti when completed.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply