Headlines News

Buhari receives 82 Chibok girls, travels to London for medical check up

Says girls’ release pleasant second anniversary gift.
Transmits letter to NASS as Osinbajo becomes Acting President

President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday received the 82 Chibok girls that were released by the Boko Haram sect.

The president, who received the girls at the presidential villa, told them that their release was a pleasant second anniversary gift to Nigerians as his administration marks its second year in office on May 29.

Buhari further disclosed in his remarks at the occasion that he was extremely happy with the release of the girls.

He also commended all those who participated in the release of the girls, saying that the country was eternally grateful for their action as the issue freedom is sacrosanct to any citizen of Nigeria.

He said, ” I cannot express in a few words how happy I am to welcome our dear girls back to freedom.

“On behalf of all Nigerians, I will like to share my joy with you, your parents, your relatives, friends and Government of Borno State on regaining your freedom.

“The Federal Government will like to commend the Security Agencies, the Red Cross, local authorities, local and foreign NGOs and all those who contributed in one way or another to secure the release of our Chibok Girls.”

The president further reassured Nigerians, especially relatives and friends of the remaining girls, saying that the Federal Government would spare no effort to see that they and all other Nigerians who have been abducted safely regain their freedom.

He also stated that he was pleased to receive the girls, adding that the government would take care of all their needs.

The president said, ” Finally, I am very pleased to have personally met you and let me assure you that the Presidency will personally supervise the performance of those entrusted with your welfare and commitments made by the Federal Government on your health, education, security and general well-being.

“No human being should go through this kind of ordeal. The security agencies and state governments should continue to provide special protection to educational institutions vulnerable to this kind of outrage especially in remote areas.”

Buhari also said that his administration is resolutely determined to safeguard the security of all Nigerians at all times.

••• Travels to London for medical check up

Meanwhile, President Buhari has travelled to London on Sunday night for follow-up on medical consultation with his doctors.

In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, Buhari had planned to leave Sunday afternoon, but decided to tarry a bit, due to the arrival of 82 Chibok girls who arrived Abuja earlier in the day.

Adesina added that the President wishes to assure all Nigerians that there is no cause for worry, saying that he is very grateful for the prayers and good wishes of the people, and hopes they would continue to pray for the peace and unity of the nation.

But the presidential spokesman stated that the ,”length of the President’s stay in London will be determined by the doctors.”

He added that government activities will continue to function normally under the able leadership of the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN), who is now the acting president.

Adesina further disclosed that President Buhari has transmitted necessary letters about the trip to the Senate and the House of Representatives in compliance with Section 145 (1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

Related Posts

Leave a Reply