News

Oyetola, wife test negative to COVID-19 infection

gov. oyetola

Governor Gboyega Oyetola of Osun state and his wife, Kafayat, have tested negative to the coronavirus.

Gov. Oyetola told journalists at a news conference at the Government House in Osogbo on Wednesday that he submitted himself for the test to know his status.

He said that “I spent the better part of last week in Abuja.” Also, the governor said his wife also submitted herself for the test because of her recent travel history.

The governor added that “considering the fact that I was in Abuja for the better part of last week, as a way of leading by example, I have also subjected myself to test.

“My wife because of her recent travel history also subjected herself to test. Both came back negative,” he said.

Gov. Oyetola also confirmed the first case of the virus in the state, saying that it was confirmed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The governor said that the confirmed case was a returnee from the United Kingdom, who is currently receiving treatment.

According to him, government has contacted the family of the patient and has since commenced contact tracing to identify people who may have been in contact with the index case.

“The sample was tested at the NCDC accredited testing centre, the African Centre of Excellence in Genomics of Infectious Diseases in Ede, Osun state. The result released on Tuesday night was positive.

“However, this confirmed case is not the first one we will be subjecting to investigation. But so far, all the others have tested negative,” the governor said.

Obaseki in self -isolation over COVID-19 infection as speaker tests positive

Gov. Oyetola also appealed to all returnees from the UK, the US, Europe, the West African coast and indeed, other high-risk countries to self-isolate and submit themselves to test.

He said this would assist the state government in containing the spread of the virus.

The governor gave the emergency numbers to call in case of any outbreak of the virus as: 293, 08035025692, 08033908772 and 08056456250.

The governor also listed the measures put in place by the government to curtail the spread of the virus in the state, revealing that a task force has been set up to man all the state’s land borders and conduct preliminary screening of suspected cases.

The governor also said that all major markets in the state would be shut down with effect from March 27, but said traders would be allowed to sell food items in front of their houses and that pharmacies would be exempted from the ban.

The governor also said the ban on public gatherings, church services, mosques, social events and political meetings would remain in force. 

Related Posts

Leave a Reply