Over 500, 000 spaces in 2018 admissions not utilised – JAMB

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said over 500, 000 spaces were not utilised in the 2018 admissions in tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
The board disclosed this in its weekly bulletin which was made available on Sunday in Abuja, which shows the 2018 admission into the country’s tertiary institutions was 1, 126, 025 quota for universities, polytechnics, colleges of education and innovation enterprise institutes.

According to the bulletin, a total of 585, 498 quota out of the total sum were utilised, while a total of 527, 815 slots were not utilised in the 2018 admission process.
The board’s Head of Media, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, explained that the release of the official statistics became necessary in order to ensure transparency.
He added that it is also meant to do away with misleading information about the entire previous processes, noting that the board hopes to utilise 80 to 90 per cent of the available spaces for the 2019/2020 admission.
He said the over 300, 000 candidates, who met admission requirements have so far been offered placements into universities for the 2019/2020 academic session.
ICAO appoints Nigeria’s investigator as BAGAIA new helmsman
The JAMB spokesman explained that the board’s projection for this year’s admission is to ensure that candidates utilised more available spaces, unlike in 2018 where about 40 per cent of spaces were not utilised.
According to JAMB, the first choice admission for public universities, which commenced on August 21 will last till November 16, while that of private universities, which commenced on August 21 has February 15, 2020 as deadline.
The board also said the second choice admissions for public universities would commence from November 17 till December 17.