News Nigeria

LASG arraigns 50 suspects for attacking govt officials

The Lagos States Government on Wednesday arraigned 50 suspects for attacking and vandalizing government equipment (caterpillar) around Idansan Village, Ibeju, Lekki, Lagos.

The suspects were arraigned before Chief Magistrate Bola Osunsanmi of Court 4, Ikeja Magisterial District on a four count charged of ‘Arson under section 341 (c)’, ‘Conspiracy under section 411’, ‘Conduct likely to cause breach of peace under section 168 (1) (d)’ and ‘Unlawful obstruction under section 117 (1) & (2) of the Lagos Law of Lagos State 2015.

Chairman of the Lagos State Task Force, CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi who briefed journalists on the development said the 50 arraigned suspects included four girls who had attacked officials of Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) while on official duties demolishing illegal shanties erected on acquired land.

CSP Egbeyemi said, “The LASBCA officials were attacked with stones, Iron-rods, broken bottles and burnt tyres before the arrival of the enforcement team of the Agency who rescued them.

“investigation revealed that owners/occupiers of the illegal shanties officials of LASBCA had gone to demolish had been served necessary notices and were given months to evacuate all their belongings from government approved land for ‘Dangote Refinery’ around the area.

“Government equipment (caterpillar) worth millions used for clearing these illegal shanties was completely set ablaze with petrol by these suspects.”

The Chairman hinted further that the 50 arrested suspects were arraigned on the directive of the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, CP Imohimi Edgal.

The Commissioner of Police further directed CSP Egbeyemi to arrest and prosecute any members of the public who vandalizes government properties across the State.

In his words of advice, Edgal implored members of the public to always protect government properties within their area as anyone caught vandalizing public properties including iron-mesh used for road demarcation along expressways would be seriously dealt with in accordance with the law.

Chief Magistrate Bola Osunsanmi however on application remanded 50 of them in prison and immediately referred the case file to the Director, Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advice on the matter due to one of the charges ‘Arson’ which carrys a Life Imprisonment.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply