Jonathan to Hand over to Buhari on May 28
President Goodluck Jonathan has concluded plans to hand over power to his successor, Gen Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), at a dinner ceremony on the May 28, 2015, a day before the official take-off of the new administration.
Jonathan has, therefore, given April 20 deadline for Ministries, Departments and Agencies to submit their handover notes to the Secretary to Government of the Federation, Sen. Anyim Pius Anyim.
The President gave the order during the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting.
The Minister of Information, Patricia Akwashiki, disclosed this to State House Correspondents after the meeting.
She said the President intended to make the May 29 transition effective, noting that a series of activities were lined up for the event.
Akwashiki said Jonathan also indicated that he wanted anything requiring his approval to be done by May 13.
According to her, the council will hold its valedictory meeting on May 20 before the May 28.
“The President also emphasised that he would require another briefing from all MDAs to indicate inherited projects, how far they had been executed and initiated projects by his administration and the level of completion, whether completed, on-going or abandoned,” she said.
She added that governance would not completely grind to a halt immediately even though emphasis would be on handing over plans.
She continued: “It is for the MDAs to submit their notes to the SGF, who will handle the total package of the handing over to the incoming administration. It doesn’t mean that is the exact notes that will be passed on. There is a format to follow and so it becomes easier for all the MDAs to follow the template. If they do that it will be easier for the President to compile everything.
“The format is to ensure you submit everything before they pass it to the incoming government. That is not to say that governance has stopped. We are in government until the day the President-elect takes oath of office.”