Crime Headlines News

Illegal arms import: Turkey responsible for seized 2,671 rifles- CGC Customs

The Comptroller General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd) has disclosed that a yet to be identified syndicate in Nigerian and Turkey are responsible for the 2, 671 pump action refiles that have so far been intercepted by the service in the last eight months.

Ali who disclosed this while briefing journalist on the recent seizure of 470 pump action rifles at the Tincan Island Port Command on Thursday lamented the security threat posed by the influx of arms into the country.

According to the CGC, in spite of the many seizures by the Customs over the period, the alleged syndicate has not relented in ensuring they bring these deadly weapons into the country.

Speaking on the recent seizure, Ali noted that the 20ft container that had conveyed the weapon was also wanted by the same importer that had brought in the 1,100 pieces of rifle intercepted some days back.

He said the arms was falsely declared as elbow plumbing plastics.

Speaking on how the container was intercepted, he said.” following the increase in the number of arms seizures in recent times, the Customs Area Controller of Tincan Island Port ordered a detailed profile of all import, especially those coming from the same source with previous seizures.

” The profiling of containers from Turkey eventually narrowed down to one 20ft container No. CMAU189817/8. The terminal operator was consequently directed to quarantine the flagged container for stricter analysis. It was later transfered to the enforcement unit, where 100% examination revealed 470 pump action rifles as against elbow plumbing plastics on its bill of loading.

Revealing the identity of the importer, the cgc stated that one Great James Oil and Gas Ltd had imported the rifles while the vessel conveying the deadly weapons is My Areas Africa owned by Hull Blyth.

He lamented, saying, ” this discovery brings to a total of 2671 rifles seized within the last eight months of this year.

He noted that while the audacity of these criminal to think that they can succeed in smuggling these dangerous weapons into the country successfully remains worrisome, the consolation is that the new Nigeria Customs Service is now more responsive and capable of meeting the challenges posed by these criminals.

He declared that the service was on “Critical Alert” as a matching order has been given to all Area Customs Controller. He said this was necessary considering the fact that since the seaports has become increasingly impenetrable, the suspects may want to try other entry points and as such personnel of the Service will be on alert at the all sea ports, land borders and airports in the country.

On the “Ease of doing Buusiness”, the CGC regrettably announced that since the importation of arms has become a recurrent decimal, the service is left with the option of 100% examination for all cargos coming into the country which is time consuming to stem the tide.

He said, “most imported items come under false declaration and that is why we find it difficult to effectively excuse the ease of doing business. If we fast track and depend on the document provided by some importers, deadly items such as this will continue to go out. So we have to do 100% examination and that delays the honest people’s business. So the innocent importers tend to suffer which is unfortunate and unless Nigerians begin to do the right thing and become honest in the way they do business, it will be difficult to clear goods within the time that is globally acceptable.

“The fact remains that the society and well being of our people is more important to Nigerian Customs Service than the money we will collect for duty because what will be the use of money if there is no security.”

He called on Nigerians to bear with the service saying the service has to do its job diligently. He said, “Because we want to safe guard the lives and properties of Nigerians, considering the fact that we are inundated by insurgency, agitators and we cannot afford to have weapons of terror roaming around our society. We just have to do the job beyond the ease of doing business and when we get to normalcy, we will bring back the ease and of doing business with ease and ensure we apply the global best practices.”

Calling on all well meaning members of the public to join the fight against this deadly trend, Ali said, ” this is what the present government requires of all citizens, we must rise up and remain vigilant to deal decisively with the enemies of the Nation. I call on well meaning Nigerians to support the service by providing information that will help us perform even better. We will do all in our powers to further secure this country.” he promised.

He revealed that he would be needing with the Ambassador of Turkey on the arms seizure and that investigations will be reinvigorated to fish out all those directly or remotely connected quite the dangerous importers.

Joy Anyim

Related Posts

Leave a Reply