Headlines News

Ikoyi building tragedy: Sanwo-Olu declares 3-day mourning

Sanwo-Olu

*Dead body of developer, Osibona, retrieved from rubble

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has declared three days of mourning over the collapsed Ikoyi building, which occurred on Monday.

Sanwo-Olu, in a statement issued on Thursday by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, said no fewer than 32 persons were believed to have died in the incident as at 2.00p.m. of Thursday.

He said that all flags were to be flown at half-mast in public and private buildings and official engagements cancelled during the mourning period.

The governor said that the mourning would begin on Friday and end on Sunday.

”The Lagos State Government, once again, commiserates with all those who lost their loved ones in the unfortunate incident,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu had visited the site thrice to encourage the rescuers and console relations of those believed to have been trapped under debris of the 21-storey building.

He was also at the hospital on Thursday to cheer up those injured, before swearing in a six-member panel of inquiry to find out why the building went down and recommend measures to prevent such incidents.

Meanwhile, the dead body of the developer of the collapsed 21-storey building at Gerrard Road, Ikoyi, Lagos, Mr Femi Osibona, was retrieved from the rubbles on Wednesday.

A reliable source told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that Osibona’s body was among dead bodies exhumed from the collapsed building on Wednesday and taken to a public mortuary at Yaba.

NAN gathered that more than 39 dead bodies had so far been retrieved from the rubbles as of Wednesday evening.

Many people are still believed to be trapped in the rubble, including a pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Mr Ola Ogunfuwa.

The RCCG pastor in-charge of Living Water Parish in Ibafo, Ogun State, was working as a contractor on the project, but had been missing four days after the building collapse.

The South-West Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, earlier confirmed that 32 dead bodies had been recovered, and nine others rescued alive with injuries.

About the author

Ihesiulo Grace

Leave a Comment