News

Gombe COVID-19 task force recommends extension of order on public gathering

The Gombe state Task Force on COVID-19 has recommended the extension of the order on public gatherings enforced by state government.

Prof. Idris Mohammed, chairman of the task force made the recommendation in Gombe on Thursday, while giving an update on the activities of the task force.

Governor Inuwa Yahaya, had two weeks ago enforced restriction on places of worship of not more than 50 persons as well as closure of areas of social gathering, among others for a period of 14 days and thebenforcement comes to an end at midnight of April 10.

Mohammed said that the committee’s recommendation followed the people’s inability to comply with the directive of the state government.

“People were violating the state order with impunity. Therefore, we are recommending extension for another two weeks.

READ ALSO: Ortom distributes tractors to Benue farmers

“We want people to realise that COVID-19 is enormously a big problem and we do not want to take any chance,’’ he said.

He said that since inauguration of the committee, a total of 327 suspected cases were investigated following the information received from the general public.

“Out of the 19 samples received, 16 were returned negative, while three are still being awaited.

“So far in Gombe state, we have not recorded any case of COVID-19. All the results returned were negative,” Mohammed said.

He appealed to the public to stop hiding suspected cases because they were not doing them any good.

“Report suspected cases in the interest of the person and the society at large,” he said.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply