The Federal Government is committed to reclaiming territories under the control of Boko Haram and crush the terrorist group.
This view was expressed, on Thursday, by Vice-President, Arc. Namandi Sambo, in an interactive session with reporters, in Kano.
He said that the Boko Haram insurgency was a new kind of crisis, but was gratified that with new weapons bought by the Jonathan administration, many territories under the control of the Boko Haram had been recovered, and that soon, all would be brought under the control of the country’s armed forces.
Sambo said that there on-going plans on how to assist people affected by the Boko Haram crisis.
He further stated that it took the Federal Government and all security agencies quite some time to face the insurgents, because their mode of operation was a new development to the training received by the country’s security agencies.
He said the Nigerian Army was known for its gallant performance, in some countries in Africa, because the people they fought confronted them, which their identity easy, unlike that of the operatives of Boko Haram, who not only live among civilians, but hit and run. He called on Nigerians to support the government in its fight against the Boko Haram, pointing out that the Boko Haram insurgency had brought about a breakdown of law and order in some parts of the country, which was one of the reasons for the postponement of the general election.
He said there are lots of security breaches going on in the country, since the outset of insurgency, which would make it impossible to have an election free of violence.
Sambo also explained achievement under the Jonathan administration in such sectors as transport, agriculture, and education, amongst others.