News Sports

Messi may continue with Barcelona- Father

Lionel Messi’s father and agent, Jorge, has dropped a hint that his son could spend at least one more season at the Camp Nou.

Daily Times had earlier reported that Jorge Messi arrived Catalunya on Wednesday ahead of talks with the Blaugrana board concerning the future of the want-away 33-year old little genius.

Jorge Messi had told journalists upon arrival that he did not “know anything” when it comes to his son’s future.

He said, however, that he would discuss the matter with Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu amid mounting speculation suggesting that a dramatic separation could be on the cards.

Messi has played the entirety of his senior career at Barcelona, breaking innumerable records on his way to becoming the club’s all-time highest goal scorer.

The little magician is, however, approaching the twilight years of his playing career, and is aware of the need to make the most of the time he has left. With Barca starting to falter at home and abroad, he has opened the door to a possible exit.

In the wake of an 8-2 trashing defeat to Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League, the Argentine began to nurse feelings of life away from the Camp Nou, dropping a bombshell to the Blaugrana faithful.

It had looked like he would walk away for nothing, with an exit clause inserted into his contract which implied that he could trigger a move elsewhere at the end of any given season.

But Barcelona has resolved that it would not watch with folded arms and allow it’s prized possession to leave without putting up a fight, insisting that his €700 million (£630m/$825m) release clause remains in place; a stance which was headed towards an ugly legal battle.

READ ALSO: Messi’s departure will allow other players shine- Modric

Interested parties are sniffing on the sidelines, with big-spending outfits such as Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain ready to pounce if the all-time great is made available.

But the Arab-backed European heavyweights could face a gnashing disappointment as the player’s agent and father has hinted that his son could still walk through the dugout at the Camp Nou again.

His father has told Mediaset that talks with Barcelona went “well”, and that there is still a chance that an agreement can be reached which allows everyone to remain in their current surroundings.

Asked whether a six-time Ballon d’Or winner could remain with the Blaugrana until the end of his current contract in 2021, Jorge Messi said “yes”.

Barca will be looking to rebuff any unwelcome transfer at this time, which would give them time to get at least another quality year from their talisman and also meticulously ready his successor.

New gaffer, Ronald Koeman has expressed a desire to keep his best player in his squad, having inherited an ageing squad from Quique Setien, and it could very well be that the former oranje coach gets his wish when this quagmire is resolved in favour of the Blaugrana faithful.

About the author

Ihesiulo Grace

Leave a Comment